802.11ac Dual-band Wireless-AC3100 PCI-E Adapter
- Dual Band 4x4 802.11ac PCI-E Adapter
The Asus PCE-AC88 is a wireless 4x4 MU-MIMO dual-band 802.11ac PCIe adapter.
- on the 5GHz band (11ac) and 1Gbps on the 2.4GHz band (11n w/ 1024 QAM [NitroQAM]).
In order to reach 1Gbps/2.4 GHz, RT-AC88U must connect to the ASUS PCE-AC88 or RT-AC88U
- in media bridge mode.
- Reference design - 802.11ac 4x4 Wireless Adapter
Network controller : Broadcom Limited Device [14e4:43c3] (rev 04) Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:86fb] Kernel modules: brcmfmac
- As of 18 Oct 2016 there is still no Linux-compatible firmware for this device
- The PCE-AC88 uses the 802.11a/b/g/n/ac standards with Broadcom's TurboQAM (256 QAM)
- and NitroQAM (1024 QAM) to reach speeds up to 2167 Mbps.
- 802.11n: With 802.11n (both 2,4 and 5GHz) the speed is 150, 200 and 250 Mbps per stream
- for respectively 802.11n, w/ TurboQAM and w/ NitroQAM, all with 40MHz bandwidth
- (so with 4 streams 600, 800 and 1000 Mbps).
- 802.11ac: With 802.11ac (only 5GHz) it is possible to reach 433 and 542 Mbps per stream
- with respectively 802.11ac and 802.11ac with NitroQAM when 80MHz of bandwith is used
- (so with 4 streams 1733 and 2167 Mbps).
- The adapter has 4 detachable RP-SMA dual-band antenna's, connected to a magnetic base.
- The base has 4 cables with RP-SMA connectors that connect to the PCIe card, one for each antenna.
- The antenna's can also be mounted directly on the RP-SMA connectors of the PCIe card
- instead of the magnetic base.
- The adapter uses the PCIe x1 interface and fits in a single PCIe x1, x4 and x16 slot.
- If the card uses the PCIe 2.0 x1 or PCIe 3.0 x1 protocol is yet unknown.
- It doesn't matter anyway, because PCI-E 2.0 x1 provides 500MBps,
- which the fastest 802.11ac connection can't even half-saturate.
- The card is passively cooled by a fairly large heat sink for a single-slot card.
Per ASUS's drivers, the PCI ID for the device is 14e4:43c3.. which seems to be the default 4366 ID.
BCM4366_D11AC_ID 0x43c3 /* 4366 802.11ac dualband */ BCM4366_D11AC2G_ID 0x43c4 /* 4366 802.11n 2.4G device */ BCM4366_D11AC5G_ID 0x43c5 /* 4366 802.11ac 5G device */